Monday, October 26, 2009

Trespass Zinfandel 2006 Napa Valley St Helena


This weekend I had the opportunity to try a GREAT Zinfandel at Eric & Deborah Guido’s Celebration of Autumn: Shades of Red dinner and wine pairing. I’ll go into detail in another post about the whole night, but first I’d like to tout my favorite wine of the day.

Eric and Deb found this gem on their last trip to Trespass Vineyards in Napa. The amazing aromas and flavors literally burst forward from this red wine, perfectly reminding me of autumn. Spicy ripe cherry aromatics explode followed by violets, while flavors arise full of cassis, and raspberries. Richly textured with good acidity and providing a full mouth feel, then gliding into a long silky finish that continues on and on.

This was part of a 3 wine flight that paired excellently with the 2nd course, a delicious Fettuccini topped with Hungarian Goulash with a rich brown sauce. The cut of beef that was used was slow cooked for 6 hours and melted in your mouth.

Unfortunately, by virtue of the positive word of mouth this particular vintage has been getting, it is currently sold out and I can see why.

No comments: