Friday, April 4, 2008

House Wines

There was a time when ordering a house wine at a restaurant would be a gamble. You could just imagine the owners gathering all the unfinished bottles and siphoning them into a big carafe in the back room. I hope that only happened in my imagination. But nowadays restaurateurs, wine managers and sommeliers seem to be going to greater lengths to provide their customers with good, not-too-expensive wines.

In an informal interview I found that 13 out of 14 people out for dinner would order the house wine. I think that says to me that they have much more confidence that they will get a good deal. Some of the wines I discovered and reviewed on this site were wines I ordered as house wines. So, if you don’t recognize anything on the wine list, give the house wine a chance. Cent’anni.

No comments: