Saturday, March 28, 2009

Borsao Crianza Seleccion 2006 at Crescent & Vine

Whenever I ride my bike I always keep my eyes open for any new wine bars. For a while now, I've had my eye on a small place on Ditmars Boulevard in Astoria called Crescent & Vine. Last night after a rough week I finally had the chance to drop in.

It's a small cozy place with brick walls, tin ceilings, a dark wooden bar that seats about 10 and several tables that seat another 15 or so with standing room for maybe another 15. Overhead lights are smaller versions of vintage lamps I remember from public schools, casting a warm red glow.

Friendly atmosphere was provided by Wade behind the bar who when asked provided me with one of his favorites, a Borsao Crianza Seleccion 2006, a Spanish blend of Grenache, Tempranillo and Cabernet. On the nose I found a slight tar/minerality under notes of black cherries while the palate showed a fruity intensity, with floral hints, raisins and a finish of powdered sugar. Overall fresh acidity makes this wine a good food wine.

Price by-the-carafe for the Borsao was a reasonable $11, and is the equivalent of almost 2 glasses.

Though I didn't dine, they have a limited bar menu of Paninis... I'm saving that for next time.

I will definitely go back.

Crescent & Vine
25-03 Ditmars Boulevard
Astoria, New York 11105
718 204-4774
Open 7 day a week from 5pm until 4am.

No comments: