Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ettore Galasso Vittoriale Montepulciano D'Abruzzo 1997 DOC

I couldn't believe I found this beautiful red Montepulciano from the 1997 Italian vintage still in circulation. But one of my favorite wine shops (The Wine Room of Forest Hills) just recently got some in and had it on sale for about $20. The color is deep dark ruby with warmer tones around the outer rim... starting with rich aromas of ripe red fruits and bing cherries the flavors evoke cinnamon spices and a fresh acidity while leaving the palate with soft tannins and a beautiful balance. The velvety soft finish brings me back to my favorite childhood candy: Pine Brothers (they were advertised as cough drops but were candy to me) with a glycerine cherry flavor... boy, I loved them as a kid, I can remember eating them one after another.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That wine has is being imported again a 2000 vintage and it is just as nice!

Anonymous said...

That is a favorite for me as well. I recently tasted this wine from the 2000 vintage and I enjoy it just as much.

Dave Trieger said...

Thanks, I'll be looking for it, I really enjoyed that wine. what was the price range? how hard was it to find?