Sunday, October 26, 2008

Raul Calvo Tinto Roble Ribera Del Duero 2004


This red wine is made from 100% Tempranillo grapes from the Ribera Del Duero region of Spain... my wife bought this bottle at a charity auction for $5 and I was blown away by how good it was.

The color is a deep dark violet with intense floral aromas, bright black currants, and earth.

The palate is exploding with extremely ripe cherries and toasted oak, and a smooth tannic finish that reminds me very much of a Nero D'Avola from Sicily called Firriato Chiaramonte.

If I could find more of this wine I would be so happy.

©2008 photo by Dave Trieger

1 comment:

Magical Magnificent Alice said...

I found this bottle at grocery outlet, believe it or not, yesterday for $10. I had no idea about this wine. Opened and not so good in the beginning and than as we chat away, time gave it the better palate and then an hour after, this is AWESOME. I'm going back to get more for sure!