Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sweetbreads: Is it brains or thyroid gland?


Don't bother answering, I know (it's thyroid), because I lost the bet.

It was back in the 80's and I was at a restaurant with friends, and the wager was a bottle of the wine we were drinking, a 1973 (or 74) Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve. Whichever it was, it was incredible, but it was really a chore trying to find it. At the time there were less wines available and even fewer wine shops. I did finally get in touch with Robert Mondavi's daughter Marcia and she was very accommodating, but there were no bottles of the wine to be had. Alas, I had to repay the bet with a wine of equal value.

Recently a new friend of mine, Greg Dal Piaz, from snooth.com invited me to a vertical tasting of some of the Mondavi wines from that period. I am so looking forward to the experience because even though I couldn't describe the aromas or flavors I experienced 20+ years ago... I know after one sip I'll recognize them, like a long-lost, old friend.

No comments: