Tuesday, June 2, 2009

25 DEAD FROM DRINKING HOMEMADE WINE

I think I'm a fairly adventurous person, and if on vacation a local offered me a home brewed wine, I probably would try it. After reading this story I think I'll be taking a pass.

Arizona Woman Among 25 Dead From Drinking Homemade Wine
Tuesday, June 02, 2009

From Fox News

Twenty-five people, including one American, have died in less than 10 days after drinking a deadly brew of palm wine on the Indonesian resort island of Bali.

Former Phoenix, Ariz. artist, Rose Johnson, was among the victims. The 48-year-old died Sunday at the Sanglah General Hospital in Bali after ingesting the lethal concoction made with methanol — a toxic chemical compound often used in antifreeze, the Phoenix News Times reported. It’s believed Johnson most likely died from acute alcohol poisoning.

A local man has been arrested for making the home-distilled liquor, Bali police said.

Alan Cole, 57, from Britain and Irish and Dutch citizens were also among the victims who have died over the past two weeks from drinking the deadly brew, according to a report by Agence-France Presse.

No comments: