Friday, February 19, 2010

New Amsterdam Market



If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my interest in wines, it’s that “terroir”, or the “sense of place” in which a certain food is grown becomes a huge factor in it’s final product.

Second is a philosophy of organic and sustainable farming techniques many farmers are starting to use, and supporting foods produced locally, lessening the carbon footprint and dependence on ground or air transport of the product.

Both were lessons learned and made sense to me for a long time, making the choice very easy to use farmers' markets whenever possible. Whenever I travel to a new place the first thing I do is find out where the marketplace is.

Over the years the number of Farmers’ Markets have steadily grown, but I’ve been following one in particular, and that’s the New Amsterdam Market in the old Fulton Fish Market location at South Street Seaport. At this stage it’s a very seasonal affair occuring a handful of times during Spring and Summer, but if City Council Speaker Christine Quinn get’s her way the New Amsterdam Market will rival Seattle’s Pike Place Market and will probably be opened 7 days a week. Mayor Bloomberg was also interested in the idea.

If successful, the draw of locals and tourists alike will help local farmers who have been in heavy competition with agribusiness in the area. Not to mention new available jobs for the community. I know for a fact that I'm going to do whatever I can to help make this happen.

I also know I’d rather eat a meal produced by someone who is a true steward of the land.

No comments: