Saturday, March 13, 2010

Romanis Gres-Saint-Paul Coteaux du Languedoc 2004 France



I dropped by to see Keith Beavers at Alphabet City Wines last night, only to find him sitting around a table with friends sampling probably over 20 wines. I ended up hanging out for a couple of hours, and had a great time talking about nothing but wines.

One of his friends, Andrew, had spent some time in France and brought with him a bottle from Languedoc, that was given to him by the winemaker at the vineyard he visited. It was a standout for me, a blend of Syrah with Grenache and Mourvedre.

I was too busy listening to Keith's stand up act to take any tasting notes, but here's what I can remember. First, all of the aromas and flavors were fruity but muted, in a subtle way, finely tuned and balanced to make this gem sing. There were hints of violet, white pepper, and cinnamon spices along with a ripe cherry bouquet, ending with a beautifully soft finish.

No comments: