Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pairing Thai Cuisine with Wine


One of my favorite Thai Restaurants, Pongsri on 18th street and 2nd avenue in NYC, is now Lantern.

A really warm and inviting interior, swift but friendly service and fair prices make for a good combination in any restaurant. I knew I was in the mood for a red curry chicken dish, so that's what I ordered, it's made here with red peppers, zucchini, bamboo shoots and basil... and I needed to choose a wine from their list to match the dish. The wine I picked was the Beringer Pinot Noir Founder's Estate 2007, which worked almost perfectly with the spicy but sweet intensity of flavors in the curry dish. Hints of chocolate, vanilla and ripe, bright cherries, with lively but smooth tannins helping to balance against the deep exotic richness of the curry sauce.

No comments: